As I have metioned before, there was a total of 10 different alley shots created, with most of the modelling done in the previous semesters; and most of the texturing and customising scenes had been done in June and July.

Here I offer a few renders from some of these shots (not composited):

05

02

01

04

After seeing the composited shots, I can say that effects such as light wrap adds a great deal of realism to the film (meaning, real life camera light effect), so does motion blur; and colour correction creates a certain mood and atmosphere that we are going for with the story.

Advertisements

As the blog deadline is approaching, I thought I’d do a bit of summary of what else I had worked on. Some of the last issues that were improved in the train interior was the window frame geometry (it had to be improved because we were no longer using any geometry for the window glass). and the texture for a pole in closeup. The floor texture was also changed to a metal type of texture after a group decision during the semester.

Train_Interior_SH_002_pole

Train_Interior_SH_003_Render_v03MasterBeauty_0006

 

I thought it would be good to post a few of the final renders up here. This is the cityscape shot (not composited!). I am quite pleased with the way the train and the city looks, and, of course, the composited version has motion blur applied to the train, background, colour correction and other effects.

CITY_FINAL01

Today we had a quick group meeting to take a look at the comp in After Effects so far, it is looking good and very close to being finished. All the shots are rendered, and Ross is working on the composition. I had found some sound effects e.g. a girl breathing, running sound, drone sound, and Sean is putting together the final sound mix for the video.

One of the last scenes that I was working on to get it ready for rendering was the sewer underground tunnel scene.

Here is the finished render with the lighting created by Ross, and drones made by Sean:

Sewer_SH_001_1

Similar to the sewer jump scene, the brick texture for the close up shot was not enough, and additional geometry of bricks was added, and also a vertical pipe on the corner.

Here’s the details:

sewtunnel2

sew-tunnel1

Before adding the actual bricks, I had created an imitation of bricks by adding some geometry to the wall, and using the texture to help create the brick effect:

00_sewerdetails1

Basic render of this effect:

00_sewer1

When comparing the two methods, I can conclude that, for the purpose of a highly close up shot, building actual bricks was a better solution than just imitating the bricks.

As I have mentioned before, the sewer jump scene proved to be quite problematic to work with.

First, here is the finished shot of the sewer jump scene with modelled bricks all along the walls. The main focus in this shot is going to be on the character jumping down in fast motion, with motion blur applied.

sewerjump1

 

1. Development process: I had created a basic model (structure) for the sewer during the second semester, it was UV mapped and a dark brick wall texture had been applied. However, it did not look finished at all, and more work on it had to be done.

sewer_2

2. The next step was testing whether applying some stones on the walls would make a change, and additional geometry was created. Here’s what it looked like:

sewer_2details

I was not too happy with this solution. However, the sewer lid geomety got improved at this stage:

sewerlid

3. Finally, after discussions with the group, we decided that the whole wall should be modelled consisting of actual brick geometry. The scene is quite an enclosed space and therefore using only a texture would not work well. The indiviual brick egdes would provide place for the ligth to bounce and create the look of an uneven wall.

sewer11

 

Here I’ll briefly describe the process of how the wall with posters was created.

This is the final wall version, with a slightly transparent character. In the final film this shot will be visible through the “drone vision”:

03

After the wall geometry was created and UVed, I created the texture for it in Photoshop: a concrete texture was combined with an image of a damaged brick wall, and a bump map was created:

walltextures1

The lower corner geometry was modified slightly to fit the damaged wall textrure:

wall-wire1

When the propaganda poster design was created, I applied them to the wall texture for the colour map, using the bump map with no posters to create a ‘paper glued on concrete’ look.

Also, a slight shadow was added around the posters to imitate an actual poster geometry being there. Afterwards, the graffiti painting created by Ross was added to the texture.

WallCornerCloseup_cPOSTERS1

WallCornerCloseup_cPOSTERSwDrawing